News for 'anti-terrorism squad'

Two IM operatives grilled over Mumbai blasts

Two IM operatives grilled over Mumbai blasts

Rediff.com15 Jul 2011

In a bid to get clues on the latest serial blasts in Mumbai, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad and the Mumbai Crime Branch have questioned a number of people including two arrested Indian Mujahideen operatives, and those having links with underworld gangs and other anti-social elements. "A number of people have been questioned so far but the exact figure we cannot tell you. Those questioned include two IM members who were recently arrested," said an ATS official.

ATS arrests 2 IM members involved in Guj blasts

ATS arrests 2 IM members involved in Guj blasts

Rediff.com13 Jul 2011

Two alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives, who provided vehicles used in 2008 serial blasts in Gujarat that killed 56 and wounded over 200, have been arrested by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad.

Ex-Army official is 19th witness to turn hostile in 2009 Malegaon blast case

Ex-Army official is 19th witness to turn hostile in 2009 Malegaon blast case

Rediff.com24 Mar 2022

A witness who is a former army official turned hostile in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast trial in Mumbai on Thursday.

Review: Rajdhani Express is a train wreck

Review: Rajdhani Express is a train wreck

Rediff.com4 Jan 2013

Anukur Pathak feels Rajdhani Express doens't have a plot but pretends to be a racy thriller.

Aggressive Juvekar was selected for Goa blast: ATS

Aggressive Juvekar was selected for Goa blast: ATS

Rediff.com3 Aug 2010

Sanatan Sanstha member Prashant Juvekar, arrested for his alleged role in the 2009 Goa blast, was included in the group tasked with engineering the explosion due to his 'aggressiveness' in propagating the outfit's ideology, Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad officials said on Tuesday.

7/11 blasts: HC pulls up Maha ATS and MCOCA court

7/11 blasts: HC pulls up Maha ATS and MCOCA court

Rediff.com13 Dec 2012

The Bombay high court ticked off a special MCOCA court conducting trial in the 2006 serial train bomb blasts and the Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad for refusing to provide documents relating to the Call Data Records to some of the accused in the case.

Maha ATS chief deposes in Grover murder case

Maha ATS chief deposes in Grover murder case

Rediff.com1 Jun 2011

Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Rakesh Maria on Tuesday deposed as a defence witness before a sessions court in Mumbai in the infamous television executive Neeraj Grover murder case.

13/7 case: SC rejects blast suspect's plea for CBI probe

13/7 case: SC rejects blast suspect's plea for CBI probe

Rediff.com12 Mar 2012

The Supreme Court on Monday refused to order any probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation or any other central agency into the allegations by the brother of a 13/7 Mumbai serial blast accused that his family was being framed by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad.

Maharashtra ATS arrests four more Naxals

Maharashtra ATS arrests four more Naxals

Rediff.com29 Apr 2011

Close on the heels of arrest of two prominent Naxals in the neighbouring Thane district on Monday, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad on Friday said they have nabbed four more members of the group, including three women, from Pune and Nashik.

Pune blast suspect holds key to IM terror network

Pune blast suspect holds key to IM terror network

Rediff.com26 May 2010

The interrogation of Pune blast suspect Abdul Sammad Bhatkal is providing investigating agencies crucial clues about his brother and key Indian Mujahideen operative Yaseen Bhatkal.Sammad, who was arrested at the Mangalore airport on Monday, is being interrogated by teams from the Intelligence Bureau and the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad.Yaseen Bhatkal was at the forefront of orchestrating the Pune blast at German bakery on February 13.

13/7 case: Delhi police detain 3 Maharashtra ATS sleuths

13/7 case: Delhi police detain 3 Maharashtra ATS sleuths

Rediff.com13 Feb 2012

Three personnel of Maharashtra's elite Anti-Terrorism Squad, who had gone to summon 13/7 Mumbai blasts accused Naquee Ahmed's brother, Taquee, were on Monday detained by the Delhi police.

Runaway Swami may be key to Ajmer, Hyd blast cases

Runaway Swami may be key to Ajmer, Hyd blast cases

Rediff.com19 May 2010

Investigators probing the acts of terror allegedly carried out by right-wing groups at Malegaon, Ajmer and Hyderabad are now looking for one Swami Aseemanand and his accomplice.The police have been looking for Swami Aseemanand since the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad arrested Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur in October 2009 in connection with the Malegaon blasts. The ATS had picked up incriminating intercepts of his conversation with the Sadhvi.

Mumbai Ram Navami violence: Accused booked for criminal conspiracy; 20 held

Mumbai Ram Navami violence: Accused booked for criminal conspiracy; 20 held

Rediff.com10 Apr 2023

More than 20 persons have so far been arrested in connection with the incident which took place in Malvani area of Malad on March 30.

13/7 accused underwent training with Bhatkal in Pak: ATS

13/7 accused underwent training with Bhatkal in Pak: ATS

Rediff.com1 Feb 2012

Haroon Naik, arrested in connection with the 13/7 serial blasts here, had undergone training with Indian Mujahideen founder Yasin Bhatkal in Pakistan and sent Rs 10 lakh to him last March to carry out the bombings that killed over 25 people.

Home ministry NOT informed about 13/7 arrests by ATS

Home ministry NOT informed about 13/7 arrests by ATS

Rediff.com23 Jan 2012

Hours after the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad claimed a breakthrough in the 13/7 Mumbai blasts case, the Ministry of Home Affairs has claimed that it was not informed about the arrests of two operatives from Bihar -- Naqqi Ahmed Washi Ahmed Shaikh and Nadeem Akhtar Asfaq Sheikh.

13/7 Mumbai blasts case breakthrough, two arrested from Bihar

13/7 Mumbai blasts case breakthrough, two arrested from Bihar

Rediff.com23 Jan 2012

The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad on Monday claimed to have made a major breakthrough in the July 13 triple blasts in Mumbai last year that claimed 27 lives, with the arrest of two of the accused hailing from Bihar.

Bail plea of Malegaon blasts accused rejected

Bail plea of Malegaon blasts accused rejected

Rediff.com15 Mar 2011

The bail plea of nine persons accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts has been rejected by a special MCOCA court in Mumbai on Tuesday. The nine accused had moved the special MCOCA court in February seeking bail on the basis of the confessional statement of Swami Aseemanand, a key accused in the Samjhauta Express blasts case. Aseemanand had alleged that right-wing groups were involved in the 2006 bombings.The anti-terrorism squad of the Maharashtra police had investigated the case

Maria to replace Raghuvanshi as Maha ATS chief

Maria to replace Raghuvanshi as Maha ATS chief

Rediff.com25 Mar 2010

K P Raghuvanshi removed as the chief of Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, said sources from Maharashtra's home department on Thursday.

Mumbai court extends terror suspects' remand

Mumbai court extends terror suspects' remand

Rediff.com18 Mar 2010

They were in police custody till Thursday and were produced before the Mazgaon court, where the ATS sought their further remand to interrogate them and ascertain the identity of the 'uncle', who was instructing them from Pakistan.

105 held for leaking RRB paper

105 held for leaking RRB paper

Rediff.com15 Feb 2009

At least 105 people, including some students, were arrested from Jaipur and Bhopal allegedly for leaking question papers of a Railway Recruitment Board examination scheduled for Sunday.

ATS nabs Malegaon accused Praveen Muthalik

ATS nabs Malegaon accused Praveen Muthalik

Rediff.com1 Feb 2011

Praveen Mutalik, an absconding accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, has been arrested from Karnataka by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad.

'Right-wing angle into Karkare's death must be probed'

'Right-wing angle into Karkare's death must be probed'

Rediff.com24 Nov 2011

S M Mushrif says, in this brief interaction with rediff.com, that he would not allow the issue of Karkare's death to die down unless and until the matter is probed.

ATS constable sent cash to Malegaon blast accused: RTI

ATS constable sent cash to Malegaon blast accused: RTI

Rediff.com15 Nov 2011

In response to an RTI query filed by Gulzaar Azmi, general secretary (legal cell) of a socio-cultural organisation, Jamiat Ulama-E-Maharashtra, it was found that Sadashiv Abhimanyu Patil, a constable attached to Nashik unit of ATS, had sent Rs 1,000 thrice to accused Abrar Ahmed through money order in August, September and November 2008 from his residential address at police headquarters in Nashik.

Karkare was like a God to Indian Muslims: Digvijay

Karkare was like a God to Indian Muslims: Digvijay

Rediff.com27 Dec 2010

Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh seems determined to stir the communal cauldron with unabated controversial statements. On Monday at the book release function of senior Urdu journalist and writer Aziz Burney's 26/11 an RSS conspiracy in Mumbai, Singh said that slain Anti Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare was a like a 'God to Indian Muslims'.

Court refuses to order judicial probe in encounter case

Court refuses to order judicial probe in encounter case

Rediff.com24 Jul 2012

Refusing to order judicial probe into the alleged fake encounter of one Mohammad Ali in 2006 by the state Anti Terrorism Squad, the Bombay high court on Tuesday asked the petitioner to approach police with his complaint.

No record of Karkare's call to Digvijay: RR Patil

No record of Karkare's call to Digvijay: RR Patil

Rediff.com16 Dec 2010

In an embarrassment to Digvijay Singh, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Thursday said there was existence of any record of the purported telephonic conversation between the Congress general secretary and slain Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare.

Explosives found in Malegaon

Explosives found in Malegaon

Rediff.com13 Sep 2006

The entire area has been cordoned off.

Malegaon blast: Godman in custody till Dec 1

Malegaon blast: Godman in custody till Dec 1

Rediff.com26 Nov 2008

A special MCOCA court on Wednesday remanded Malegaon blast accused Dayanand Pandey to police custody till December 1, after Anti-Terrorism Squad officials said they wanted to questioning him regarding some data found on his laptop.

Gujarat ATS, forensic team to study Varanasi blast

Gujarat ATS, forensic team to study Varanasi blast

Rediff.com10 Dec 2010

A team of officials from the Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad and directorate of forensic science, Gandhinagar has reached Varanasi to study Tuesday's blast at Dashashwamedh ghat.

13/7: Prime suspects still absconding

13/7: Prime suspects still absconding

Rediff.com13 Jul 2012

A year on, how successful have investigators been in taking to task perpetrators of the triple blasts that wreaked havoc in Mumbai on July 13, 2011?

ATS files charge sheet against Pune blast suspect

ATS files charge sheet against Pune blast suspect

Rediff.com4 Dec 2010

Nine months after a powerful bomb exploded at the German Bakery in the posh Koregaon locality in Pune killing 17 people, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad on Saturday filed its chargesheet against the alleged mastermind of the attack Himayat Baig. Assistant Public Prosecutor for ATS A V Ausekar told judicial magistrate Swarup Bose that the accused had committed heinous crimes against the state of India.

Malegaon blasts: Sadhvi to undergo tests

Malegaon blasts: Sadhvi to undergo tests

Rediff.com31 Oct 2008

Pragya will undergo brain-mapping, polygraph and lie detector tests at Forensic Science Laboratory in suburban Santa Cruz, ATS Director Rukmani Krishnamurthy said. The Nashik court had permitted the ATS to conduct these psychological tests on Sadhvi.

How police searched for Karkare's missing jacket

How police searched for Karkare's missing jacket

Rediff.com26 Nov 2009

The Mumbai police was aware of its mistake much before it came to light. They knew that it was a highly sensitive issue so they made a tremendous effort to locate the jacket.

Rivalry a motive behind Agra blast?

Rivalry a motive behind Agra blast?

Rediff.com18 Sep 2011

As the Uttar Pradesh police continue to quiz four persons in connection with the Agra hospital blast case there are very few indications for now to suggest that it was an act of terror. Sources informed that Saturday's blast could also be the fallout of a rivalry between local nursing homes and the privately-owned Jai Hospital.

Suspected Indian Mujahideen operative sent to judicial custody

Suspected Indian Mujahideen operative sent to judicial custody

Rediff.com16 Sep 2011

Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik, allegedly a member of Indian Mujahideen, arrested in a fake currency case, was on Friday sent to judicial custody by a local court.

Can't understand Gafoor's statements: Mumbai cops

Can't understand Gafoor's statements: Mumbai cops

Rediff.com20 Nov 2009

Refuting allegations by their former boss that they dithered from "responding to the situation" during 26/11, some police officers said on Friday that they did not understand what prompted former Mumbai police commissioner Hassan Gafoor to make such remarks.

13/7 blasts: ATS pins hopes on arrested IM men

13/7 blasts: ATS pins hopes on arrested IM men

Rediff.com13 Sep 2011

Desperate for a breakthrough in the July 13 triple blasts, the Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad is now looking to question two recently-arrested alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives.

Maha: 2-wheelers banned on final immersion day

Maha: 2-wheelers banned on final immersion day

Rediff.com8 Sep 2011

In a first, the Maharashtra government has announced a ban on two wheelers on Ananth Chaturthi, the day the city will bid adieu to Lord Ganesha. The ban will be enforced on Sunday only on immersion routes across the state.

Margao blast: Hindu right-wing group's member held

Margao blast: Hindu right-wing group's member held

Rediff.com19 Oct 2009

The Goa police on Monday made the first arrest in the Margao blasts, in which two persons were killed, when a man with alleged links to a Hindu right-wing group 'Sanatan Sanstha' was detained and searches were carried out at the outfit's office.The two victims, who were killed in the blast, were activists of the Sanstha. The police had earlier detained five members of the that which has recently come under the scanner of security agencies.

Pune blast accused, aide sent to police custod

Pune blast accused, aide sent to police custod

Rediff.com8 Oct 2010

A Nashik court remanded to police custody Himayat Baig, prime accused in the Pune German Bakery blast case, and his aide Shaikh Lalbaba Mohammed Hussain alias Bilal.